Monday 19 January 2015

What my son will be refusing to eat this week.

I have the fussiest eater in the world. Fussyeater Supreme. Won't eat anything unless it is dry and crispy.

For the better part of his eating life (3.5 years) I have fought a constant, daily war. Here is this weeks battle;

 

Pinwheel Pizza made with fresh, homemade tomato sauce, fresh peppers & organic cheese. Served with 'Cajun' sweet potato wedges.

Butterbean & chorizo stew. This is my take on a Tana Ramsay original.

Prawns with chilli and cheese.

Fish pie - always fall back to Jamie Oliver's 'Fantastic Fish Pie'

Garlic Bread topped Ratatouille. This is a mix up of an old 'BBC vegetarian magazine' recipe for a sort of Mediterranean bean casserole, topped with herb bread. But my children are not massive bean fans so I am trying it with a simple ratatouille. Not that they like that much either!

'Scooby Pasta'. The one dish my son will eat more than 4 forkfuls of, without threats of bed/no pudding/no Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles etc. providing I take his portion, sprinkle with cheese & put under the grill til nearly burnt & nicely crispy. I should point out this is not that disgusting Heinz tinned crap. No, this is a lovingly made beef ragu, slow braised for 6 hours then served with regular pasta for us, scooby shaped pasta for the fussy one.

Roast lamb.

 

I have to say, I am not expecting him to eat any of this, with the exception of the 'scooby pasta'. But honestly, I have been bending over backwards to make individual, special meals for the little sod & he still never eats it, so my new technique is to give him the exact same as everyone else, and not break a sweat if he refuses to try it, or makes himself sick when it's placed in front of him (he will).

 

 

Wish me luck!

 

12 comments:

  1. Fussy eaters are a nightmare aren't they! I went through a fussy stage with both of my children, but I'm happy to say we came out the other side with kids who will happily try most things. Keep your chin up, it will get easier xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It think it is doubly annoying as both his big & younger sisters will eat anything & everything! I know I fed them just the same so quite why he has so many food issues I just don't understand.

      Delete
  2. You have my sympathy! My son started off very as a good eater but now he's two the fussy phase has definitely hit. It really annoys me when he decides he doesn't like something just by looking at it... Not that much you can do though, I think, other than cook him the same stuff as everyone else and feign disinterest in whether he eats it or not. Getting attention is as much a part of the game as the food itself.
    Anyway, your meal plan looks really yum - I'd eat it happily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is the worst! Actually, I made the pinwheel pizzas last night & he did just that! And then started crying becuase he didn't like them. All without even picking one up! But eventually, I managed to get him to try one & what a surprise, he loved it! Well, it really was a surprise actually because I'd manged to hide peppers, mushrooms & ham I'm them! Lol! I will outfox him!

      Delete
  3. Scooby pasta sounds awesome! Great plan, and I'm sure your little one will come out of this phase soon... Hopefully! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! But I fear it's pretty permanent. Never mind! What is life without a few challenges? - remind me I said that the next time he makes himself vomit to get out of eating!

      Delete
  4. Good luck, that sounds like a nightmare! Your food sounds lovely though, I would eat it x

    ReplyDelete
  5. My girl is going through a fussy phase at the moment....It's a nightmare!
    Good luck! I think everything sounds delicious especially the Scooby Pasta x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is a nightmare isn't it? I used to think this was just a phase but after 3 long years, I think it's just the way he is. So now I'm trying to manage it as opposed to fighting it!

      Delete
  6. My youngest son was terrible at this, I stopped fussing and he went into a huge meltdown...but we started to make headway! Have you triedlaying things out like a picnic? so he helps himself? Goodluck! Oh and your menu sounds yummy ;) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We regularly have 'picnics' and especially when his friends come over to play- thinking he would be more likely to try new things or at least eat some different things but he just picks the same boring 'crisp/dry' foods! I even try to not put any of 'his' foods out & just have veggies/ fruit/ good stuff to leave him no choice. But then he just doesn't eat anything at all. :( I will keep at it though!

      Delete