Wednesday 10 September 2014

Lunchbox Banana & Apple Loaf Cake

I am really not a fan of processed food. I try give my family lovely homemade food where possible. Lunch boxes are no exception! Every week I make what I call a 'dry cake' what I mean is, something that I can store in an airtight container & dish out whenever my lovelies need a nice, substantial snack. Yes, i know we have been taught by media & so called health professionals not to mention government campaigns to stop children eating sugar but quite frankly, I am much happier feeding my children someone that is natural & chemical/additive free, even if it is high in sugar(which again is natural! No nasties!).

This one has proven to be one of the most popular I make. It is very moist because of the bananas so it keeps really well. Also you can mix it up but throwing in a few 'extras'. This week I chopped a small bar of Green & Blacks dark chocolate & added that. I often add some chopped dates too, which give it a lovely caramely, toffee like hint & a chewy texture! Feel free to experiment, it really is a easy cake to make & you'll feel all warm & cosy inside knowing you've sent your kiddies off to school with a healthy, natural, energy boosting lunch!

This is what you'll need;

 

150g light muscavado sugar (granulated will do- you just won't get a slight caramel twang)

85g soft, unsalted butter

2 large free range eggs

4 medium sized ripe bananas, mashed

1 apple, peeled & grated

250g self raising flour

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Pinch of salt

Cooking 40-45 mins, 10-15 prep. 10 good, thick slices, more if you like though!

 

 

 

Preheat oven to 180c/GM4 ( adjust for fans)

Grease a 2lb loaf tin

Cream together butter, sugar & eggs. This will look all split & repulsive, but stay with it.

Stir in mashed bananas & apple & sieve in the flour, cinnamon & salt.

Mix well, then tip into your tin, bake for 40-45 mins

Remove once cooked & allow to cool in the tin for 30mins or so, then remove & cool completely before slicing.

 

If you are adding any ' extras' as I have here, you would just stir them in with the flour, bananas & apple.

 

 

This is the last bit, the children demolished it hot from the oven. This is why I normally only bake in the evenings or during school!

 

Love Kitty x

Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.com

 

2 comments:

  1. That looks delicious Kitty. I like that it has a nice crust. I love banana bread, but I've had so many recipes that come out really soggy, regardless of how long I bake them. Also as there's only two of us in my household, it can go mouldy if you don't eat it quick, however banana bread does freeze really well and I often whip up a couple if the bananas in the fruit bowl are looking particularly sad and freeze them! #TastyTuesdays

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous, wonder if this will work well with wheat free or rice flour! Thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays x

    ReplyDelete