Saturday 19 July 2014

The Anti Fashion Post

It has been a long time since I have felt anything but disillusionment at the entire fashion industry. The catwalk just doesn't speak to me anymore. My 20s fear of looking anything less than catwalk fresh has completely grown into a near obession with looking glamourously chic. I am thoroughly disheartened when I see the state of some (most, ok, almost all) women today. With clothing being so cheap as to be almost disposable, thanks to discount chains, the internet & supermarkets, it seems we have thrown away our sense of self too. The high streets are packed with girls, all clones in various patterns. Full mini skirts worn so high they are now empire line. 90's bodysuits, tights, cheap pointy flats & hair scrapped back into a bun so large a bird could nest in it. Winehouse wore it (badly) in 2009 & frankly I feel it's time to quit if you're basing your look on a dead heroine addict.

 
 

The trouble I've realised, or, finally accepted, is that what looks good on the catwalk, well, can only look good on the catwalk. High end designers design only for the model figure. Anyone, not matter how stunning, unless they are taller than 5"9, are no bigger than a size uk4, & have no breasts at all will never look remotely how the clothes were intended to look. This is a perfect example. Look at this piece from Louis Vuitton on the catwalk.

 

Now look at the same piece on the beautifully diminutive Dianna Agron, how lets face it is just beautiful with a stunning figure.

 

It just doesn't work. And that is exactly the problem. We all buy outfits thinking in our heads we will magically transform & look like the model, when in reality, if someone as gorgeous as Dianna Agron can't pull it off, what chance have we got without stylists/ make up artists/ hairdressers & personal trainers? We can't & I am so finally sick of the disappointment I refuse to accept it & support a morally corrupt industry.

 

 

I have actually begun to hate shopping. No, really. I spend many frustrated hours trudging around shops with an idea in my head of the sort of thing I want & instead find only items 1988 would like back. Have you tried buying a simple, plain, well fitting tshirt lately? Clearly not, as if you are reading this you didn't jam your head into a revolving door to end the agonising saga.

 

I want a shop where clothes don't have extra, fancy bits just to distinguish them from last years efforts. I don't ever want to see luminous anything. Ever. I would love to have a neckline that enhances my bust without inviting all eyes to meet my nipples, or conversely, be so high it gives me extra chins. I want clean, elegant lines that flatter my shape & create a silhouette to die for. I want clothes that will release my inner goddess, not my inner whore. I want to be stylish & chic, not boring & ill fitting. I want advice. I want clothes arranged into shopping areas for basic body shape ( column, hourglass, apple & pear should do it).

There is a huge gap in the market for wearable, elegant, flattering simple clothes, it's about time fashion realised it. Even a store you would think you could absolutely guarantee would fit the bill, like GAP, unfortunately has started to add unnecessary bits of lace/odd detailing/bizarrely unflattering cuts to what should be simple wardrobe basics.

There is also a crater like void of style representation in media too. I cancelled my subscription to Vogue when I realised every issue was filled with the same unwearable and completely awful clothes. Even the whimsically brilliant couture pieces were beginning to bore. How many Cinderella meets the mad hatter/the Queen of Hearts/Edward scissorhands vast billowing ballroom gowns can the world need? I have trawled & searched all over the internet & newsstands for a site or magazine that speaks to me, that is filled with fabulous, wearable style edits. Something that inspires me, not horrifies me. Something that celebrates my body, doesn't tell me I need to loose a few pounds incase, god forbid, I can't get strangers to stare enviously after my body on a beach.

Perhaps I need to be the one to start it. Perhaps that is what I should do with my blog, at least part of it. Build the site I am so desperately searching for, what's the saying? Build it & they will come? Perhaps I might.

 

 

Lets start with, for me, the epitome of glamorous chic.

 

The simply stunning Sofia Vergara perfectly embodies casual glamorous chic. GOLDSIGN skinny jeans, plain, light top, nude heels, delicate jewellery, splash of pattern with a beautiful scarf, large Tom Ford sunglasses classic bag, super glossy hair. The thing I love about this whole outfit is her smile. Nothing, nothing says glamorous chic like a beautiful, genuine smile. Love it. Love her.

 

 

And best of all, she is 42.

 

 

 

Fashion Friday on MummysGotStyle.com

No comments:

Post a Comment